Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Do you make time for the negative?

I have never been one to have a boat load of friends. I usually have 1 or 2 close friends. I don't trust easily and well....truth be known, I like to have friends that are similar to myself. It makes life easier to have the same interests and some things in common. Is this snobbery? Not saying I am not friendly to everyone (ok except one person I can think of).
Being in the military, especially living in military housing...you meet people from every single walk of life. Sometimes I think people who live in the civilian world have a jaded view of how people really are. You live in your little house and come and go to work. All seems right in the world. Come visit my world where you find out all sorts of information you wish you never knew about the people down the street. I would honestly rather not know. A little bit of obliviousness (is that a word?) never hurt anyone. Alot...yeah that could hurt someone.
I don't have friends who look for openings to discuss details about their sex life. I don't have friends who call my other friends horrible names (to my face), I don't want friends who do all of this and more in the house of the Lord. For heavens sake. Is it too much to ask for people to put a filter on and think...maybe this comment could hurt someone?
Look, I am alot of crazy myself. Lord knows I have more issues than Time magazine. And maybe I am a little afraid that those who love to gossip about the neighbors might find out about my craziness and spread the word. I don't have to be friends with everyone. I just keep saying that.
I don't want them to think I condone in any way their nasty verbal spewage. And to me, just hanging around them and nodding is condoning.

No comments: